2.12.2008

how my heart jumped to my throat

I don't know why I kept the door to my room open today. It's unusual of me to do that, but I just did. Anyway, I was typing away for this post, when my brother, Kaj, opened the door to his room (which is just right across the hall from mine). I looked up, and OH MY GOD, I saw Kaj shake like a leaf and fall to the ground!!! I screamed "KAAAJ! Oh my GOD!" The bloody bugger looked like he was having a seizure!

I ran to his room, roused him, called for my other brother for help, and did my neuro exam and head-to-toe physical assessment. Thankfully, he woke up, a little sluggish at first, then quickly regained full consciousness. Long story short, I brought him to the urgent care clinic, then to the Emergency Department. We were there for 8 hours! Kaj is okay now, nothing damaged, just some follow-up appointments to go to.

The thing is, I see seizures all the time at work. Heck, I see worse stuff...it's all part of the job. I could usually go about these things calmly. BUT, if it's someone you love, all the calm flies out of the door. Seeing him shake and fall like that scared the crap out of me.

-posted by tanya-

No comments: